The Sierra Mountains draw thousands of cyclists from around the world each year to both compete in some of the most challenging events in the world, & to challenge themselves in developing the skill & endurance needed to be a professional in their sport.
The Sierra Mountains also are homes to thousands of recreational Cyclists which enjoy the sights, sounds, abundant challenges and beautiful landscapes that are presented in the Sierra.
There are hundreds of associations, clubs and resources for cyclists on the web. We at Sierra Rec will bring you links, videos, photos, trip ideas, club invites and ride reviews from the people who enjoy their personal challenge routes in the Sierra. Because we are based in the beautiful Carson Valley and near Lake Tahoe many of the features you find may have a slant geographically. So we are calling on you the cyclist to share your rides, photos, events and more from your local communities. Are drive is to cover the sport of cycling from North (Lassen National Park region) to South (Sequoia National Park Region) and East ( Reno / Carson City ) to West (Sacramento / Fresno) in the Sierra.
Key Cycling Events in the Sierra Annually include:
- The Alta Alpina Challenge – A Personal challenge through through the Carson Valley and Alpine County Mountain passes.
- Cycle the Sierra – A five day 300 mile ride that covers the Central Sierra Mountains from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe Via some of the Central Sierra’s most scenic locations.
- The Death Ride– Recognized as one of the premier cycling events in the West, the Alpine County Chamber of Commerce invites you to participate in the Death Ride®, while enjoying the magnificent scenery and warm hospitality of Alpine County!
- Tour De Tahoe – Big Blue, as it is referred to by many — is North America’s Largest Alpine Lake and the Jewel of the High Sierra … and the Reno Tahoe Territory of the Nevada Commission on Tourism and Bike the West invites you to experience the adventure of riding your bicycle around her 72-mile shoreline
- America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride – America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride, one of the most scenic and awe-inspiring rides you will ever experience. Spectacular scenery, clean mountain air, great food and fully supported by experienced ride organizers makes this ride a ‘must do’ for any avid recreational bicyclist.
- The Motherlode Century Ride -This century bike ride partners with Friends of El Dorado Trails, building a trail from South Lake Tahoe to Folsom! The Motherlode is conveniently staged in the springtime foothills of the Gold Country, and offers five ride options from 34 leisurely to 97 challenging miles.
- Tour De Manure – Sierra Valley Metric Century – Cycle the meadows and historic ranching communities in the Sierra Valley, one of the Sierra Nevada’s largest high valleys. The tour offers a 62-mile loop, a 42-mile loop, and a 30-mile out-and-back route, all supported with food, drink & SAG wagons.
- Sequoia Cycling Classic -The event was once the fifth largest bicycle race in the nation sanctioned by both the U.S. Cycling Federation and U.S.A. Cycling. It featured one of the richest time trial purses in the country. It attracted athletes such as Lance Armstrong and Bobby Julich, the second American to finish on the Tour de France podium.
- Mammoth Gran Fondo – As the old High Sierra Fall Century, this ride was chosen as a “Top-Ten Century” bike ride by Bicycling Magazine (June 2012) for its “Jaw-Dropping Vistas,” and considered on-par with Levi’s Gran Fondo in Santa Rosa, CA, by Road Bike Action Assistant Editor, Neil Shirley.
- The Eastern Sierra Double Century– A spectacular double with the beautiful Sierra Nevada as your backdrop and inspiration
Of Course you also have the National Parks for cycling with an entirely different purpose:
- Yosemite National park is said to have over 32 Routes recorded by Bikemaps.net
- Sequoia and Kings Canyon
- Lassen Volcanic National Park
There are many associations and clubs and a few tour companies that also put together ride packages through the Sierra
- The Sierra Cascades Bike Adventure – a Five Part Tour that takes you through the Cascade Mountains to the North & through the heart of the Sierra Mountains
- Cycle the Sierra – CYCLE THE SIERRA is an annual cycling event that takes place in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of Northern California. This fully supported, five-day journey takes riders on a 300-mile loop through breathtaking country, beneath granite peaks, through evergreen forests and to alpine hot springs. We’ll ride through iconic locations like Lake Tahoe and the area where gold was discovered starting the California Gold Rush, over the 4th highest bridge in the US, and through numerous unique and historical communities along the way.
- Kiss of Death High Alpine Challenge Bike Tour -People who want a quieter, more relaxed version of the Death Ride. Or mostly, people who love the exhilaration and challenge of cycling the majestic and peaceful High Sierra of Alpine County—the least populated county in California. (Very Limited Ride)
Training for Your Fist Century Event
Getting started in Century rides, well like most things you need to start with a little preparation and planning. Here is a great little guide for getting ready for your first century ride