QUINCY, CA June 18, 2015 – Fire restrictions will be effective soon within the Plumas National Forest (public land) according to Chris French, Acting Forest Supervisor. “We’ve quickly transitioned into warmer and dryer weather; fire season is here,” he said.
- No open fires, campfires or charcoal fires will be allowed outside of designated areas (see attached list) even with a valid California Campfire Permit.
Note: campfires must be built within agency installed & approved fire pits.
However, lanterns and portable stoves using gas, jellied petroleum or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed as long as the forest visitor has a valid California Campfire Permit available from (http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/) or from Forest Service offices during normal business hours (M-F; 8-4:30).
- No smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or designated recreation site.
- Internal combustion engines are restricted to National Forest system roads, routes, trails, and areas as identified on the Plumas National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map. Cross-country travel between roads, routes, trails, and areas is prohibited; trail riders are urged to be careful.
- No possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device, using an explosive or operating a welding or other torch with an open flame.
Some people may be exempt from these restrictions if they have been specifically allowed by the Forest Service via a permit or approved plan of operations. Additionally, any Federal, State, local officer, or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of official duty is exempt.
Woodcutting is currently allowed within the Plumas National Forest (public land) if the daily fire indices permit. To determine if woodcutting is permitted on a given day, call (800) 847-7766 prior to cutting wood. A recorded message will notify woodcutters if the next day is hoot-owl (no cutting after 1 pm), open all day (no restrictions), or no woodcutting allowed that day.
Note: call before 4:30 pm on the day you plan to cut as the message is updated for the following day at about that time.
Questions about fire restrictions, designated recreation sites, motor vehicle use and firewood cutting on the Plumas National Forest (public land) may be directed to local Plumas National Forest Service offices including:
- Supervisor’s Office – (530) 283-2050
- Beckwourth Ranger District (Portola/Milford area) – (530) 836-2575
- Feather River Ranger District (Oroville /Challenge area) – (530) 534-6500
- Mt. Hough Ranger District (Quincy/Greenville area) – (530) 283-0555
A list of designated recreation sites is also available on the internet along with the Motor Vehicle Use Map at: http://fs.usda.gov/plumas.
- Plumas National Forest (public land) fire restrictions will be effective June 30, 2015. Campfires allowed in designated recreation sites only (see attached list).
- Woodcutting may be allowed depending on the daily fire danger; call (800) 847-7766 before 4:30 pm daily.
- Information about private land fire restrictions may be found at:http://www.calfire.ca.gov .
Designated Recreation Sites *
|BECKWOURTH RANGER DISTRICT||MT. HOUGH RANGER DISTRICT||FEATHER RIVER RANGER DISTRICT|
|Big Cove Campground||Boulder Creek Campground||Black Rock Tent Campground|
|Chilcoot Campground||Deanes Valley Campground||Blue Water Beach Day Use|
|Cottonwood Group Campground||Gansner Bar Campground||Feather Falls Trailhead & Campground|
|Cottonwood Springs Campground||Greenville Campground||Golden Trout Crossing Campground|
|Frenchman Campground||Grizzly Creek Campground||Horse Camp (Grasshopper)|
|Gold Lake Campground||Hallsted Campground||Little Beaver Campground|
|Grasshopper Flat Campground||Hutchins Group Camp||Pancake Day Use|
|Grizzly Campground||Lone Rock Campground||Peninsula Tent Campground|
|Lakes Basin Campground||Long Point Campground||Red Feather Campground|
|Lightning Tree Campground||Long Point Group Camp||Rogers Cow Camp|
|Spring Creek Campground||Lower Bucks Lake Campground||Running Deer Campground|
|Meadow Camp||Sly Creek Campground|
|Mill Creek Campground||Strawberry Campground|
|North Fork Campground||Wyandotte Campground|
|Rock Creek Camp|
|Queen Lily Campground|
|Sandy Point Boat Ramp/Day Use|
|Spanish Creek Campground|
*Campfires must be built within agency installed & approved fire pits.