The Village at Squaw Valley® Hosts Tahoe Truckee Earth Day Festival Saturday, April 21
One of the largest celebrations in the area invites the local community to learn about North Lake Tahoe environmental issues, celebrate and prom
Sierra Rec Magazine, Olympic Valley, Calif. April 19, 2018 – The 2018 Tahoe Truckee Earth Day Festival returns to the Village at Squaw Valley on Saturday, April 21. One of the largest Earth Day celebrations in the area, the free community event takes place at the Village at Squaw Valley from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. , and gives kids and adults the opportunity to learn about recycling, composting, alternative energy, and sustainability through hands-on activities the whole family can enjoy. As part of the Drink Mountain Tap program, single-use plastic water bottles can be turned in at the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows tent in exchange for a free refillable bottle. Squaw Valley-Alpine Meadows was the first ski resort in North America to ban the sale of single-use water bottles, instead offering refillable bottles across the resort at the same price point as a disposable bottle.
At a diverse array of earth-friendly educational booths displayed throughout the day, participants can get dirty in the compost zone, explore new ways to recycle, learn about solar energy, and check out “The Discovery Zone” hosted by the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum. The event also boasts live music from Truth Cartel and The Sextones, raffle prizes, a dance presentation and Tahoe’s very own “Trashion” show.
Following is the Tahoe Truckee Earth Day Festival schedule of events:
- 11:00 a.m.: Main Event in the Village at Squaw begins with educational booths on display all day
- 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.: Turn in single-use plastic water bottles at the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows tent in exchange for one free refillable bottle in celebration of the Drink Mountain Tap program
- 11:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.: Nevada Discovery Zone hosted by the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum – First Street
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.: Truth Cartel – Events Plaza Stage
- 2:00-2:15 p.m.: Asha Dancers – Events Plaza Stage
- 2:15-3:00 p.m.: Trashion Show – Events Plaza Stage
- 3:25 p.m.: Raffle winners announced
- 3:30-5:00 p.m.: The Sextones – Events Plaza Stage
- 5:00 p.m.: Squaw Valley Institute and Citizens Climate Lobby present “Saving Snow” – Base Camp
The Tahoe Truckee Earth Day Festival is free to the public and T.A.R.T. will be offering free return bus services from the festival to North Lake Tahoe, Incline Village, and Truckee.
The Tahoe Truckee Earth Day Festival is a “zero-waste” event. Food and biodegradable waste will be collected by volunteers and Incline Village General Improvement District’s (IVGID) Waste Not to be composted. In addition, all food vendors will utilize biodegradable take-out containers when possible.
About The Village at Squaw Valley
The Village at Squaw Valley is a year-round destination in the heart of Squaw Valley, located in North Lake Tahoe. This European-inspired Village features over 50 bars, restaurants, galleries and boutiques, including a yoga studio and spa. Condominium style suites are conveniently located for access to four season adventure including aerial tram rides to High Camp at 8200 feet, overlooking Lake Tahoe. The Village events plaza is home to a variety of outdoor activities and premier music festivals, including free outdoor movie nights and Bluesdays throughout the summer season. Visit squawalpine.com/lodging or call 866-818-6963 to learn more.